For time immemorial, women across the world have performed beauty rituals based on the best ingredients nature has to offer. In Morocco, women unlocked the power of argan oil to restore and moisturize, Rhassoul clay to purify, green tea to tone and refine, and rose to calm skin. Now these potent natural ingredients have been formulated using the latest science in a complete and effective natural skincare line, bringing the beauty wisdom of the women of Morocco to you.
We believe in creating rituals out of our regimens by giving meaning to our daily beauty routines, highlighting region specific ingredients and giving back to the indigenous women who harvest and produce the ingredients at the core of our products. By creating simple skincare products that work and that won’t harm our consumers or the environment, we aim to connect women around the world in the timeless practice of beauty.
Kahina Giving Beauty products are sensitively produced from start to finish with an eye toward cultural and environmental sustainability.
– Ethically and sustainably sourced raw materials
– Certified natural and organic formulations that incorporate organic materials whenever possible
– Recycled and recyclable packaging
– Donations to the women who work to provide the raw materials at the heart of our products
GIVING BACK +
For the Berber women
who inhabit the argan forest in the Southwest of Morocco, the hard work of extracting argan oil offers them their only means of financial and social independence. In addition to paying a fair wage for our oil, Kahina provides the women and their families additional support by funding local initiatives. In this way, Kahina gives back to the women of the cooperatives by enhancing their quality of life in—and beyond—the workplace. Here is how Katharine L’Heureux is collaborating with the cooperatives and other local social activists to initiate positive changes in the women’s lives and their surrounding communities. Success stories:
• Katharine has funded the organic certification of a women’s cooperative to allow them to more successfully participate in the international argan trade. The previously unprofitable cooperative now provides steady wages for its 46 members. As she has done from the beginning, Katharine continues to make sure that the women are fairly treated and adequately compensated for their work.
• Donations to Education for All in Morocco (EFA), an organization that provides safe boarding homes for girls so that they can continue their education beyond elementary school. Currently, most girls end school after fifth grade because their parents are not comfortable sending them away to the cities where the centralized schools are located. EFA allows both the girls and their families to feel safe and secure in their decision to further educate their daughters.
* The purchase of sheep for the women of the Idzouane Mountains. With the purchase of a sheep for each woman, the women of the region can provide milk for their children and have a supply of wool for weaving rugs to further their economic independence.
• Donations to the High Atlas Foundation to support their one billion tree campaign. To date, Kahina has raised money to plant, irrigate and transport 250 trees to support rural villages in the Southwest of Morocco as part of the organization’s One Million Tree Campaign.
• Donations to the High Atlas Foundation to deliver clean drinking water to a girls school in the High Atlas Mountains.
ENVIRONMENTAL RESPONSIBILITY +
Argan oil is extracted from the hard nut of the argan tree, which grows only in the argan forests in Southwest Morocco at the Northern border of the Sahara. Against all odds, the trees thrive in the harsh desert soil and serve an important purpose in keeping the Sahara at bay. In 1999, the forest was designated a UNESCO World Heritage Site. An active local argan industry further protects the forests. Personally sourcing high quality, 100% organic argan oil allows Giving Beauty to ensure the ethical treatment of the women who extract the oil while encouraging sustainable growth. Certified organic ingredients
are used in synergy with the argan oil
whenever possible. Outer packaging is created from 100% post-consumer waste and the bottles are made from high quality recyclable violet glass, which acts as a powerful preservative by blocking out damaging light rays.