With the passing of one of my favorite “holidays”, Fall Back aka the end of DST, it was only a matter of time before temperatures plummeted precipitously, the heaters (hopefully) cranked on, and skin started to feel tight. Colder temperatures can wreak havoc on your complexion; chapping, flaking and redness are all tell-tale signs that your skin is suffering. Luckily for us, there are several ways you can combat the effects of winter weather and preserve a dewy, fresh glow, no matter the forecast. Here are my favorite tips:
1. Continue your habits of sun protection throughout the short days of winter. If you use SPF, keep up the good work. Otherwise, cover up with hats, hoods, gloves, sunglasses, and scarves. This helps shield you from UV rays but also from cold winds which can further dehydrate and chap exposed skin. Make sure to regularly clean any items that come into contact with your face and choose non-irritating fabrics (hello, pashmina!).
2. Apply a protective, emollient moisturizer like Kahina Facial Lotion over any oils or serums during the day. The beeswax and shea butter act as a barrier to keep moisture in. You can also use the Lotion at night; combine with a few drops of Kahina Argan Oil or, better, Kahina Serum or Prickly Pear Seed Oil to make a denser consistency. For additional anti-aging and anti-inflammatory benefits, use Kahina Night Cream instead of Facial Lotion — but still layer over Argan Oil, Serum, or Prickly Pear Seed Oil for maximum moisturization.
3. Use a soothing cleanser with glycerin or oils and without harsh cleansing agents like SLS. Kahina Facial Cleanser is aloe vera and argan oil-based, so it will not leave your skin feeling tight post-wash.
4. Avoid the temptation to take very hot showers or use hot water when cleansing. This can increase redness and the feeling itchy, chapped skin. We love Kahina Argan Soap Trio – exfoliating but also moisturizing, conditioning and soothing. Our Goat Milk & Honey Argan Soap is another super gentle option for softening skin while cleansing. Follow a shower with an organic body oil on damp skin, like Kahina FEZ Body Serum – rich in emollient oils like argan, coconut, sunflower, olive, and watermelon.
5. Restore skin at night while you sleep. Kahina Serum is a rich blend of plant oils including argan, sea buckthorn, carrot seed, and coffee berry. These assorted oils provide different nutrients and antioxidants to help rebuild and replenish overnight. We recommend that those with normal to dry skin types who are using only Kahina Argan Oil switch to Kahina Serum during colder months. Apply Kahina FEZ Hand & Body Balm to hands, heels, elbows, and other dry spots before bed (and as needed throughout the day!).
6. If the heat in your home and/or office is particularly dry, use a humidifier during the day and at night to add moisture to the air. Be sure to clean the humidifier according to manufacturer’s directions.
7. Use Kahina Toning Mist throughout the day to help retain moisture and soothe redness. Sodium hyaluronate attracts water molecules in the air to your skin, while rosewater and aloe vera calm irritation. Kahina Toning Mist can be applied over makeup.
8. Treat lips with an all-natural balm. When you apply Argan Oil or Serum morning and evening, run a layer over your lips as well for additional benefits. Stay tuned for our Lip & Face Balm debuting in January!
9. Generally you can exfoliate less often in the winter months, but don’t stop altogether, especially if you’re noticing flakes. Kahina Antioxidant Mask works in 5-10 minutes and will gently buff away dry, dead skin.
10. Now is the time to pay attention to the eye area. Consider changing from a lighter weight serum to a cream that offers more substantial hydration and protection. Kahina Eye Cream is a good choice, with sea fennel, peptides, argan oil, aloe vera, and antioxidants all working to soothe, moisturize, and comfort the delicate eye area while combating signs of aging and puffiness and dark circles.